Christmas is a time of lights on trees, houses, and street lamp posts. The wise men were guided by a heavenly light (“Star”) to Jesus the Messiah in Bethlehem. Wihout lights, Christmas would be unrecognizable. Lights and Christmas go together.
As I thought about Christmas and lights, I couldn’t help but be drawn to contemplate the element of light in the Christmas faith. And it is with this in mind I’d like to offer a Christmas meditation as we approach the celebration of Christ’s birth.
Among the references to light found in the Bible, light was the first of God’s creation… Light led to Jesus’ place of birth… Jesus said He was the light of the world… Christians are told to let their light shine… among many other things. Here’s a list of things I’ve come up with regarding light that are cause for reflection in relation to our faith
Things To Consider About Light… (If you have additional thoughts, please include them in the comments section below. I’d love to add to what is already here!)
Light is important and necessary to sustain life…
1. Light determines Earth’s ability to support life (Temperature, evaporation, wind, climate).
2. Plant life is dependent upon light (Photosynthesis)
3. Animal life is dependent upon plant life.
4. Human life is dependent upon animal and plant life.
5. Most of what we know about the universe comes from information that has been carried to us by light.
Light… What do we know? Consider these properties of light and how they illustrate elements of God’s character.
1. Light cannot be captured… only it’s effects can be recorded (Picture). God cannot be captured either. We see Him through what He created (A “Picture” of sorts).
2. Light travels in a vacuum at 186,000 miles per second. God “travels” faster than light… the speed of thought!
3. Energy is required for light to exist. God is the source of all energy… God has always existed.
4. Light gives off warmth and heat. God warms the heart & puts fire in our bones for evangelism & ministry.
5. Light contains tremendous energy. Ephesians 3:20-21.
6. Light is an anomaly: it contains both waves AND particles. It shouldn’t be both! God is incomprehensible! Isaiah 55:7-8
7. Light waves include: Gamma & X-Rays, Ultraviolet, Visible, Infrared, & Radio Waves. God reveals Himself in a variety of ways.
8. Light cannot be seen… we only see what reflects it! God can’t be seen, but we see Him through His creation and those who reflect His character.
9. A small source of light can be seen from a great distance (Air to ground). When God reveals Himself… even in a tiny amount… the effect is dramatic and wide ranging.
10. Light can be reflected. Christians reflect God’s light into a dark world.
11. Light can be absorbed. The more time we spend with God, the more like Him we become.
12. Light can be diffracted (Prism). God is multidimensional & the One God understood many ways (Names).
13. Light can be concentrated (Magnifying glass.) God sometimes concentrates Himself. This is called revival or awakening.
14. Light can be focused. God can laser in on one area of our heart or life to come under His lordship.
15. Light can blind (The Sun, Lasers, Arch welding). Saul was blinded by the brigh light of Jesus while on the road to Damascus (See John 12:39-40).
16. Light can kill (Laser). No one can see God and live.
17. Light can heal (Laser surgery, billi-rubin, and photo-therapy). God is the great Physician and healer… most specially of sin.
18. Light can be painful (Open eyes to light after being in darkness). Coming into God’s light (The process of conviction of sin, our brokenness over sin, and/or God’s discipline) can be painful…
19. Light can soothe (Warmth, Photo-therapy). God’s Discipline is GOOD (See Hebrews 12:11)
20. Light is extremely powerful (Laser, sun). God is Omnipotent
21. Light can reveal what is unseen (X-rays). God sees into our heart & knows our motivations (See 1 Cor 4:5)
22. Light dispels darkness, darkness cannot get rid of light! This is the effect of God over Satan in life and in the believer’s heart.
23. Light can carry great amounts of information (TV, Radio, Telephone, fiber optics). The depth’s and wisdom of God cannot be understood by man.
24. Visible light has a spectrum of colors. God is multifaceted and cannot be reduced to just one thought, idea, attitude, or attribute… except through His son Jesus Christ.
Granted, these are thoughts of one person as I recorded in one of my quiet times with God. Hopefully they will encourage you as you contemplate God’s vast goodness in relation to light. Each time we see lights during Christmas may our thoughts turn to the greatness of our God… His Son Jesus Chirst… and The Holy Spirit.