In the Christian life, sometimes all the illumination we have is for less than three feet of road. Sometimes all God gives us is enough light to take the next step. And then there are times when there is NO illumination at all. It is then that we stop and stay still. And that is the best place to be in my view.
Absolute darkness is troubling whether you’re in the woods… a cave… or life. But being able to see what’s next isn’t important for the one who trusts in Christ because we walk by faith, not by sight. So the next time you’re in a dark place, here are a few suggestions…
1. Whatever you were last doing for God’s glory… continue doing that,
2. Remember God hasn’t left you just because you’re in the dark,
3. The reason He slowed you down with darkness is so you’ll listen closer to Him… or possibly to protect you (!),
4. Immerse yourself in God’s Word and… again… listen intently,
5. Be patient… wait on God… don’t get in a hurry,
6. When God gives you more light (Whenever that is)… then take the next step (And it may be only ONE step),
7. While reading Scripture keep a sharp eye out for a burning bush.
Just a few words of encouragement from one who’s been in a few dark places a few times.