Two weeks ago I heard Steve Farrar at CrossPoint’s Men’s Weekend. On Friday night he delivered a message that put into succint form what I believe about how God works. CrossPoint’s pastor (Ryan Whitley) posted his notes from the message on his blog. I have put them here because of how Dr. Farrar nailed the way God works in our lives. He takes these points from the life of Joseph.
God works in a man’s life three ways:
- God works PROVIDENTIALLY, which means He is involved in every detail.
- God works STRANGELY, which means sometimes what God’s work does not make sense.
- God works SLOWLY, which means God’s plan takes time to manifest itself in our lives.
There are 10 ways God was in control of Joseph’s life:
- God is in control over DEVASTATING LOSS – Joseph sold into slavery
- God is in control over EVERY EVENT OF YOUR LIFE – no accidents, only providence
- God is in control over ALL ASSIGNMENTS – Joseph being prepared as a slave
- God is in control over GRIEVOUS SETBACKS – The Lord was always with Joseph
- God is in control over BROKEN HOPES – never put a timetable on God’s plans
- God is in control over PROLONGED WAITING – during the two years in prison Joseph had to wonder what God was doing
- God is in control over POWERFUL PEOPLE – God owns them and God runs them (Potifer, Pharoah)
- God is in control over ALL PROMOTION – the Lord prepared Joseph to organize Egypt while he was organizing the prison
- God is in control over ALL WEATHER – seven years of harvest, followed by seven years of famine
- God is in control over ALL EVENTS – according to Genesis 50:20 – good or bad, friend or foe, God will work all things for your good
When I look back over the events of my life, I can’t help but affirm all Dr. Farrar said. My goal… and I hope it will be yours also… is to see God’s hand IN THE MOMENT rather than in a retrospect examination of our life.